Saturday, November 1, 2014

Sept 9th: Bus tickets and ham

After hearing from our friend Sorrel (who was walking the El Camino) that she could meet us in Logrono on Thursday, I found and booked a hotel for Drew and I online.  I learned that I couldn’t book bus tickets online without a DIN (national identity card), so must walk to the bus ticket office to purchase them.  Sorrel will be exhausted after walking 28K that day on the El Camino.  Now that I had my arrangements with Sorrel made, I could commit to a date to start language classes.  Monday is my first day.  There will be 5 of us in the class (3 newbies).  Today in the grocery store, I learned a lot about HAM.  It was awesome…the butcher lady ran in the back after I did my first imitation of a sheep (I forgot the word); I was trying to buy cheese.  She brought out Miguel, whom I recognize from my last shopping lesson with Agur.  In perfect English he told me he had left home at age 18, over 35 years ago, to be a sheepherder in the US (California and Nevada).  He actually studied 2 months in Australia to learn how to sheer.  He told me that it is a lonely life…just sheep, 2 dogs, thousands of acres.  He said it was the hardest thing he had ever done to leave his mom.  Then he asked me if I needed ham...I shrugged because to be honest.  I found those big hanging ham legs intimidating.  Thus, I got a HAM lesson.  The sweetest part of the ham is the triangular part closest to the hoof.  This is because as it hangs, the salt must settle in the lower parts.  He said it is often too salty.  The pigs that "become" Iberico ham are free range and live on acorns.  
 Ander called to invite us on a dog walk with Mendi up mount Ulia.  The humidity was really high. San Sebastian donned a shroud that left only the tips of the higher peaks clearly visible.  It wasn’t exactly fog.  Tonight is the biggest moon, with highest tidal swings in 4 years, a good evening for a beach walk.
Ham

Enjoying our outings with Mendi

No comments:

Post a Comment