Saturday, November 1, 2014

Sept 30th: Litmus test

Tuesday
Litmus test of language skill progress: 
We went back to the banker we originally did business with a month ago.  I was able to tell her what we needed and why.  This felt akin to climbing Mt. Whitney (highest point in the continental US).  Not yet feeling like I’ve made it to the top of McKinley, Kilimanjaro or Everest.  Words…So much confusion altered pronunciation can cause!  Example: Today drew said, “tengo hombre” instead of “tengo hambre.”  “I want a man” vs “I am hungry.”  In class I asked the teacher what you call the things in a dresser, and made a drawer pulling motion…her reply elicited a stunned exclamation from me “Really? COJONES!?”  (giggling in room) the teacher said, “No cojones, cajones!” “Not testicles, drawers.”  A common mistake I’m told.


No comments:

Post a Comment