Sunday, August 16, 2015

A few insights I gained planning this group trip to Madrid and Andalucia


1.  Don’t injure your friends 

No brainer, right?  I just about “crippled” my friend who is 13 years my senior and lives a more sedentary lifestyle by taking her up to Mt. Urgul (topped by the Jesus statue, and a fun little museum) here in San Sebastian.  To be fair, it was the descent, not the uphill part that did her legs in.  It never occurred to me that this might be too physically challenging for her, and had originally planned on taking her on a really cool, much longer steeper hike over a bigger mountain, to Pasaia.  Note to self:  Get a realistic picture of the physical capacity of travel companions before trip planning. 

2.  Technology purgatory:  Be prepared in case of technology failure

Technology and I seem to be at constant odds…sometimes I feel like I’m trapped in an old “I Love Lucy” episode.  What else could go wrong?
Best laid plans…I had been insistent that we all had WhatsApp for “easy” communicating because I though that we would want to separate at times.  My friend had free data with no roaming charges with her T-Mobile business plan! (who knew that was possible?) She was onboard with WhatsApp.  We got a SIM for my sister-in-law in Spain for about 10EU, good for a month with Vodafone.  WhatsApp is not tied to the SIM, so setting up Whatsapp at home and “test driving” it there is a good idea. We were all set.
I had bought a external battery (accessory power supply) in case my cell phone battery croaked at an inopportune moment (lesson learned from our Morocco trip in April)…but what I didn’t count on was that my own WhatsApp would stop functioning on my phone!  Luckily my e-mail still worked so we could split up and access each other that way…sort of.
My sister-in-law found out that her local e-mail server in Wisconsin did not allow her to view her email while she was overseas (of course she only found this out while overseas), It was a good thing that she had a Gmail account to fall back on (which she normally never uses).  When she finally figured out the problem she had to have my brother forward her flight e-mails to her new account!   I’m a believer in having 2 email addresses each from different service providers…it has saved me more than once.
Because of my propensity for technology failure, I had a plan A and B for meeting my sister-in-law at the airport neither of which involved technology.  I’m in the habit of checking airport terminal maps online in advance.  The Madrid terminals are very spread out (same in Barcelona), and there is a rather long bus ride or metro ride between them, if you find yourself at the wrong one and pressed for time it can be bummer. 

3.  What floats your boat?  Get a sense of your travel companions priorities and interests early on

When I thought about what to see and do in these places I didn’t give “shopping time” a first thought, much less a second thought.  Shopping shares that same exhausting “museum pace” that does a number on the feet and back.  Had it occurred to me I could have figured that into the plan and it would have made for less tiring days.  I personally will gladly physically “suffer” my way through any art museum or history museum, or cathedral on the planet, but am less enthusiastic to suffer my way through souvenir shops and stores.  Of course others feel exactly the opposite.  Lesson:  know your companion’s priorities, to find a balance that pleases everyone.  To me this means encouraging autonomy rather than compromise.  “Meet me at this café after you get out of the cathedral or the souvenir shop, I’ll be enjoying a vino blanco.” 

4.  Why can’t I use my credit card to buy this?   Chip and pin/ verified by visa issues

When my local bank’s credit/debit card repeatedly didn’t work for online transactions I just walked across the street to the bank and asked the teller (who  probably knows us as the “clueless Americans”) why it didn’t work.  I learned that to use my credit card on line it had to be validated by “verified by visa.”   While on line, waiting for the transaction to go through on certain websites, I was sent a code on my cell phone to enter on the website.  When completed and entered, I got a confirmation that my transaction went through.
Despite having a chip in my American credit card, I don’t have a pin…at least not the “right kind” of pin to be able to use my card to buy train and bus tickets from machines in stations.  There is always cash!  Be prepared.


5.  Overcoming the confusion of the Alhambra experience

First of all buy tickets well in advance…The website tells you how many days in advance they will go on sale.  It’s July now, and I see some days in October are already sold out!  I learned that when you order tickets for the Alhambra in Granada online you better check and recheck on the dates.  I had some major frustrations, and glitches navigating the website.  (Sometimes I get glitches when I click “translate” on my ipad, such as the calendar fails to translate or switches months and I don’t notice).  Alhambra tickets are purchased through Ticket Master (ugh!) and they give you NO opportunity to change or cancel your ticket after you press the “buy” button.  Their contact number is just a recording that hangs up on you after first informing you that you basically called for nothing.  Get tickets from Caixa Bank ATM in town using the same credit card that you used for the online purchase to avoid long lines.  We chose to enter the Alhambra grounds about 1.5-2 hours before our appointed palace entry time (the time on the ticket) and walked all the gardens and outdoor areas first.  We walked downhill back home…no need to get on a bus. 


(I was a bit worried about whether I would be able to retrieve my tickets as planned because of the original ticket debacle online and what I had to go through to resolve it.  I knew that we had to be at the palace gate, not the Alhambra entrance, at the exact time I signed up for online when I originally bought the ticket.  At home on your printer you are really only printing out your code to retrieve your actual tickets "entradas."  I read that we could avoid long lines by printing out our “entradas” at a local La Caixa Bank ATM by entering our ticket number, and using the original credit card used for the online purchase.  This actually worked great, and saved us a lot of hassle and time once we arrived at the Alhambra.  Apparently most of the crowd didn’t know this trick.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment