Friday, July 10, 2015

May 13-June 1 Playing tour guide in San Sebastian, Madrid, and Andalucia (part 1)

May 13-June 1

I had spent more hours than I care to admit researching, and organizing for my friend’s and sister-in-law’s May/June visit.  The plan was to host my friend here for a week in San Sebastian for a bit of cultural immersion, then take the train together to Madrid, where we would meet my sister in law, travel together for our 8-9 days, and then my sister in law would stay with us here in San Sebastian for her week of cultural immersion.  We had what I thought was a full but easily doable itinerary.  After a few days in Madrid we would go to Cordoba, Granada and Sevilla. (in the final trip post I talk about what I learned on this little journey)

Yes, I know, each place deserves a lot more time…but public transportation between these places (with exception of San Sebastian to Madrid) range from 1.5- 3 hours, and I felt it would be a good overview of Andalucia, the heart of Moorish Spain, for the uninitiated. 

I often see people planning trips like this asking for advice on travel websites.  I notice that they usually get verbally “raked over the coals” by a certain kind of traveler, and locals who know that their city deserves a lot more in depth exploration.  But, as a person who has lived overseas, traveled in a slow, “soaking-it-in” style, as well as zipped around just getting a superficial view of a city’s most popular sites, I would say that there is no one way to “travel right.”  You do what you can in the time that you have, you make it your own, you prioritize, you know your physical limits…and you learn where you want to go back to, to “soak.”  I never go anywhere with the thought that this will be my only opportunity to visit a particular place, unless I want it to be.  That helps me reconcile the fact that I’m probably not going to see everything I want to see this time around.



  
Nice day cruising the boardwalk in San Sebastian

No comments:

Post a Comment